What You Didn’t Know About Sarah (But Suspected It All Along)
By Sarah McVanel, Chief Recognition Officer, Greatness Magnified
There is a little corner of my office where you can learn pretty much all you need to know about how I arrived at the place I’m at today, writing to you, speaking, and writing books about recognition of self and others.
Do you know that it all clocks back to one magical decision? What uni I chose.
I did my undergrad in psych at Brock University, a fantastic school near my home in Niagara wine country in Ontario, Canada (and where I grew up down the street in Niagara-On-The-Lake). Brock gave me so much more than an Honours BA.
They gave me opportunities that I could never have dreamt of, and I had no idea how much I needed them.
- They introduced me to the magic of adult education; I was a Teacher Assistant (I TAed in years 3 and 4), and loved it so much, I took adult education certifications
- They supported my foray into authorship; I wrote the first TA Guide to Brock University
- They let me launch my career as a speaker (on awareness about date assault)
- And the list of lifelong gifts (like dear friends for life) and doors they opened up goes on…
So when my daughter decided she also wanted to pursue psychology, I was more than a little biased. Although it was her choice, I do admit to some strategic coaxing (offers to make her home-cooked meals, no rent, a car, and use of my hair straightener any time she wants). You can probably see where this story is going. She launched her psych journey at Brock in September.
And no surprise, she is LOVING it! That said, her journey is already a little different than mine:
- She truly believes she has the world’s best first-year psych prof ever (I had good ones too, don’t get me wrong!)
- She will do her third year on an exchange, studying in the Netherlands at one of the world’s renowned psychology schools
- She has fewer multiple choice exams in her first year than I did (okay, that one I added in…not that I’m bitter or anything!)
In all seriousness, her delight about psychology and mine couldn’t help but boil over. And you do you know what form that is taking?
You might have caught some of our “coming soon” updates on social. In case you haven’t, I wanted to officially introduce you to our bi-weekly adventure and welcome you to subscribe wherever you enjoy your podcasts!
Greatness Together is our intergenerational podcast where we – a dynamic mother-daughter duo – unpack a different psychology concept every episode. Join us as we weave personal stories, research, and expert insights to make psychology not just understandable but also relevant to today. It’s our delightful journey through the wonders of the human mind that we’re thrilled to share with you. Some things are truly great when shared together!
Do you know someone you would like to enjoy this podcast with?
- Your mom and grandma
- Your daughter, step-daughter or daughter-in-law
- Your colleagues
- Your therapist (kidding, not kidding!)
Why not send them the link to subscribe or forward this article?
Don’t worry; you won’t miss a thing by subscribing here to Greatness Together, as we will release it every other Thursday (bonus mail!). You can opt out of receiving the podcast updates if it’s just not your jam.
Do you have any requests for topics? Comment below!
Greatness Together Podcast: Curious Minds Unite – Mother-Daughter Conversations that Delve into the Heart of Psychology!
We can’t wait to get started!
Want more recognition ideas for the New Year? Check out these previous posts for some yummy ideas to get your recognition program on track: