Will you join me in marking in your calendar, journal or, heck, writing a reminder on a post-it-note to show recognition and appreciate the essential services professional helping us get through COVID? When we are on the other side of this, how can you express your gratitude?
- Posting this image to social media
- Texting “thanks for getting us through COVID” to a close friend or family member
- Writing some thank-you notes to the essential services businesses that stayed open
- Creating a card with your kids for the local departments hit hardest by COVID (e.g., ER, ICU, Lab)
- Writing a review of how resilient and dependable a business and their staff was during COVID
- Joining the thank-you letter writing campaign to healthcare heroes
- Filming a FB Live on Doctor’s Day, Nurses Week or any other “event” in 2021 (see dates list here)
- Making a donation in honour to your local hospital, hospice or other healthcare organization for a piece of equipment that will make providers’ jobs easier
- Posting a new sign on your lawn about thanks for getting us through this
- Bake your favorite treat and ask for them to be put into the staffroom of a local essential services or healthcare organization/department (note: it’s important you don’t hand them out for infection control purposes)
Who to think about in your appreciation:
- Doctors, nurses, allied health in hospitals, hospices, long-term care homes
- Public health professionals
- Municipal, provincial and federal government policy advisors
- Bus drivers, mechanics, truck drivers
- Grocery store clerks, managers
- HR and Communications professionals in industry
- Developmental services workers, PSWs, homecare professionals
What to know what else you can be doing to help right now? Here is a great article.
What other ideas do you have to recognize our essential services heroes post COVID? Who else should we recognize? I’ll create a follow up post with a more exhaustive list including more ideas and essential professionals.
Want to see more resources about how you can recognize other’s greatness? Check out these articles: